Have you ever wondered why some people are left handed? Are they born with it or become left handed later in life? Although scientists are not sure, there is a definitive link between the environment and genes. Of course, “lefty genes” are not yet discovered, although a person is more likely to be left handed if there were left handed people in his family.
Furthermore, scientists have discovered different wirings in the brain of left and right handed people. Left handers are more independent due to the process of adaptation in a right handed world. Now, here are 23 facts about lefties you haven’t heard about!
- 5-10% of the world’s population is left-handed.
- Lefties have a tendency to become alcoholics.
- Left-handed people are usually great at sports such as tennis, basketball, boxing, etc.
- About 40% of the top tennis players in the world are left-handed (including Rafael Nadal).
- They reach puberty about 5 months later than usual.
- According to statistics, left handed students are 26% richer later in their life than right handed students.
- 4 of the 7 presidents of the USA were left handed.
- The origin of the word “left” has its roots in the Anglo-Saxon word “lyft”, meaning broken.
- Left handedness was considered as bad in the past and a sign of homosexuality, criminality and as a mark of the devil. It was also considered a trait of musical abilities and creativity.
- About 10% of the world’s population is left handed, although the percentage of left and right pawedness is 50-50% among animals.
- Women pregnant in their 40s are 128% more likely to give birth to a left-hand baby.
- One of the four Apollo astronauts was left-handed.
- According to a study, left-handed people are more talented to spatial awareness, math and architecture. Right-handed people are more verbally fluent.
- A recent study has shown that left handed people are more prone to asthma and allergies.
- There are 30 million lefties in the USA alone.
- August 13th is celebrated as the Left Handers Day.
- According to experts, lefties have an easier time adapting to the use of their other hand if they injure their dominant hand than right handed people.
- Left handed people are more prone to insomnia.
- Dresses, sweater, and tesserae decades are the longest words that can be typed with the left hand and standard hand positioning.
- As we already mentioned, left handedness runs in the family – Prince William, Queen Elizabeth II, the Queen Mother and Prince Charles are all lefties.
- Left handed people adjust seeing underwater easier than right handed people.
- Some of the most notorious criminals in the world such as Obama Bin Laden, Jack The Ripper and the Boston Strangler were left handed.
A study has discovered that lefties process emotions differently than right handed people, and they get upset easily. John McEnroe, the famous tennis player, is a perfect example for this.
Source ( https://healthandlovepage.com )